Skip to main content

How to get a Band 9 in IELTS?

Hey! Let's be straight, my goal is Band 9! :))))

Well, let's see how proficient we are in English to get a band 9 in IELTS. 


As we all know, the test covers four sections: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking.  IELTS is graded on a scale of 1-9 and I will present the requirements of the Band 9 in each section below. 

READING & LISTENING: 

You have a full operational command of the language. Your use of English is appropriate, accurate and fluent, and you show complete understanding

SPEAKING

Fluency and Coherence 

• speaks fluently with only rare repetition or self-correction; any hesitation is content-related rather than to find words or grammar

• speaks coherently with fully appropriate cohesive features 

• develops topics fully and appropriately 

Lexical Resource

• uses vocabulary with full flexibility and precision in all topics 

• uses idiomatic language naturally and accurately

Grammatical range and accuracy

• uses a full range of structures naturally and appropriately 

• produces consistently accurate structures apart from ‘slips’ characteristic of native speaker speech 

(This refers to the speakers use of grammar (structures). The speaker almost always (consistently)says (produces) sentences which are grammatically correct. When the speaker does make a mistake (slip), it's the kind of mistake that a native speaker might make. )

Pronunciation

• uses a full range of pronunciation features with precision and subtlety 

• sustains flexible use of features throughout 

• is effortless to understand 

WRITING

TASK 1

Task Achievement

▪ fully satisfies all the requirements of the task 

▪ clearly presents a fully developed response 

Coherence and Cohesion 

▪ uses cohesion in such a way that it attracts no attention 

▪ skillfully manages paragraphing

Lexical Resource 

▪ uses a wide range of vocabulary with very natural and sophisticated control of lexical features; rare minor errors occur only as ‘slips’ 

Grammatical Range and Accuracy 

▪ uses a wide range of structures with full flexibility and accuracy; rare minor errors occur only as ‘slips’ 

TASK 2

Task Response

▪ fully addresses all parts of the task 

▪ presents a fully developed position in answer to the question with relevant, fully extended and well supported ideas

Coherence and Cohesion

▪ uses cohesion in such a way that it attracts no attention 

▪ skillfully manages paragraphing 

Lexical Resource 

▪ uses a wide range of vocabulary with very natural and sophisticated control of lexical features; rare minor errors occur only as ‘slips’

Grammatical Range and Accuracy 

▪ uses a wide range of structures with full flexibility and accuracy; rare minor errors occur only as ‘slips’ 

TIPS ON READING:

- Time management 

- Master skimming and scanning

3-4 mins: skimming

- Read the first sentence of the paragraph

- Key words: names of people, dates, concepts, terminology, and/or steps in a process

- Get the gist

- Label the paragraph

Answer

Don't answer questions in order

New words

Question types: https://magoosh.com/ielts/ielts-reading-question-types/

TIPS ON LISTENING: 

- analyze the prompts

transitions

- Don't get lost

- Listen to academic discussions and lectures regularly 

TOPIC

1. FREE TIME

2. TRAVEL

3. WORK

4. HOMETOWN

5. FRIENDS

6. FAMILY

7. SCHOOL

8. WEATHER/CLIMATE/SEASONS

9. RECREATION/EXERCISE/SPORTS

10. FOOD

11. ON A TYPICAL DAY

12. HOUSEHOLD

13. MUSIC, MOVIE, BOOKS, TELEVISION

14. TRADITION AND CELEBRATIONS, HOLIDAYS

15. NEWS AND CURRENT EVENTS

16. TECHNOLOGY, INTERNET...

17. SHOPPING

18. OTHER (PET, GARDENING, LAWS, TAKING PHOTOS, COMMUNICATION)

19. DECISIONS, ADVICE

20. ART, GIFTS

21. KINDNESS

22. LANGUAGE LEARNING

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm going crazy

  What is the fucking wrong with you Des? Don't fucking blame people for your mistakes.  If you can not control your fucking stress, don't mistreat other people.  Yeah I understand you are undergoing stress, a severe one. And I keep encouraging you to go somewhere alone for yourself and have a real convo with your fucking self. I did tell you to stop harassing people but you don't listen. Give me a moment please. I need to work with it. I need to solve it. I need to run really. I need to push myself to the limit. There needs to be a way for me to let everything out. I can't stand it. I'm going crazy. I truly don't understand why stress keeps hitting me continually like a sudden never-ending rainfall. I thought it was cyclical but not. Recently it has lasted for nearly a month and it's driving me mad. It has lasted for too fucking long.  And I scarcely control my anger or maintain my composure toward anyone. I can not hold my ego down like I used to be able o

12/8/2023-Mimi’s diary: sao vẫn không làm rõ được mình?

 Mình nói mình muốn tập trung mà, vậy mình tập trung vào cái gì? Tập trung vào cách vận hành và phát triển một tổ chức, đúng không? Nghe này, mình muốn ngành địa chất. Vậy thì mình phải biết là mình cần chuyên môn.  Mình chọn học bổng leadership, ví dụ như chevening Vậy MediaAC cần gì?  Mediaac cần người làm thư viện, bảo tồn cho các tác phẩm nghệ thuật  Mình cần học một ngành giúp mình ứng dụng IT Ngành nào cũng cần ứng dụng IT. Mình muốn làm giáo dục, vậy thì mình cần một công cụ. Công cụ tốt nhất mà mình có là ngành địa chất  Vậy tại sao mình không tập trung vào ngành đó? Ngành: đi làm  Đi học master thì liên quan gì đến việc đi làm? Đi học tiếp thêm kiến thức mới để đóng góp vào sự phát triển của nơi làm việc, mở rộng quan hệ quốc tế, mở rộng thị trường Vậy sao mình vẫn mắc kẹt với marketing? Marketing là tools kiếm tiền, cũng giống ngoại ngữ và tin học vậy. Đừng để nó lấn chiếm mình. Bạn chắc chưa? Bạn cần hiểu 2 vấn đề: đi học và đi làm Khi bạn muốn làm chuyên gia thì bạn biết là

Erasmus Mundus Scholarship

Hey, serious time is coming! By any mean, I really want to motivate myself to go on the path to self-improvement, so I decided to make this blog to write down everything I am required to do to carry out my elaborated plans. And my biggest motivation now is, a ticket to Europe, a chance to study abroad for free and an opportunity to find my identity.  Why is Erasmus Mundus? While growing up, I have always been obsessed with the name Erasmus Mundus, even though I have plenty of options for scholarship, but I don't know why I couldn't leave that name out of my head or I couldn't stand to be tied down in one place after graduating from university. I always feel eager inside thinking that I must be granted that scholarship someday. I have been waiting to this day to be able to collect myself together, my courage and my accomplishments as a student to move closer to this intellectual dream.    Which programmes am I aiming at ? Scrolling an array of programmes in EMJMD catalogue,